Is it possible to query Jira from another Oracle database

Rambo April 29, 2016

Hi,

I want to query JIRA (server) from another Oracle database (like a dynamic view query which is possible in my Oracle).

Solutions found:

What do you think? Did I miss something? A plugin or another way?

Thanks for your help, I'm liddle bit lost with this.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2016

The JIRA database is optimised for the application, not for queries.  It's strongly recommended that you think of it as a "black box" datastore - JIRA stores data in it, you back it up, you don't look at it.  (Oh, and if you ever think "I'll write to a JIRA database", the answer there is "no".  Because you will break it, possibly catastrophically)

SQL for JIRA tries to allow you to use standard SQL inside JIRA - possibly a good option for hardcore DBAs, and it can give you more flexiblity than JQL, but JQL generally works for most purposes as it's designed for the application level access - it understands the data properly.

We're happy to go into more detail about all of those things, but I'd really like to know "why" before giving you potentially poor answers.

What are you trying to achieve here?  Not in terms of "I want to read the database", but why you're doing it - what is the goal?  What does the end user get as a result of these reads?  That will give us a good basis for answering with "do it with JIRA reports", "SQL for JIRA is a good route", "You'll need to build something to read it" or "here's an add on" etc.

Rambo May 1, 2016

Hi Nick, thanks for your answer,

What I'm trying to do is to group the data of our different Information System. When I work on a project with Oracle, I'd like to see the JIRA information about the same project. The point is to make better decision using the JIRA information.

The Addon : "nFeed" alow me to consult Oracle information in JIRA, I'd like to find the way to do it in the other direction.

I hope my explanation is clear.

Thanks for your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2016

Ok, the best thing to do here would be write something on the Oracle side that pulls data over REST from JIRA to display it.

Rambo May 2, 2016

What is "REST" ? Do you know where I can learn it ? Thanks for your answer.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2016

Suggest an answer