Is it possible to propagate field values from child to parent task?

Julian Ruppel June 28, 2016

When I create a sub-task of a task (i.e. story), I specify the relevant component for this particular sub-task.Is it possible to fill all components of all sub-task into the component field of the parent story automatically?

In other words a bottom up inheritance. 

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2016

You'll need some code in order to do that - a listener that can pick up issue-created and issue-updated on subtasks, read the component field and check the value of the parent, adding any components as required, and removing any that are removed from the sub-task after checking all the other subtasks don't have it.

Note that I've made some assumptions in the spec here - it boils down to "the parent component list should be all of the sub-tasks combined".  Although that does mean that the parent won't be able to have its own components really - you'd need to think through when it's right to delete if you want the parent to have its own.

0 votes
slothstronaut June 29, 2016

I think you could achieve this by using a custom script postfunction in the create issue transition of your workflow.

The script could do something like check:

• if your created issue has a parent
  • get every subtask of this parent
  • for every subtask, check their components field value, cache if not already in your list
  • set the parents component value by adding the values you got in your list

If your in a new instance of jira, you could simplify this to:

• if your created issue has a parent
  • set the parents component value by getting and adding the value(s) of your newly created issue

Hope this helps =) 

Suggest an answer