Is it possible to place a link to an attachment in a JIRA issue comment if the attachment filename has spaces in it

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2012

JIRA 5.0

Trying to link to a file attachment with name: RE 4 Wheeler - RFQ.msg using wiki markup code: [Clicky text|^RE 4 Wheeler - RFQ.msg]

But not having much luck... any suggestions?

Cheers,

David

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2012

Right click the attachment, get the link location and use it. Space shouldn't be a problem.

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2012

Thanks for that Jobin but wondering is it possible to use the [^filename.ext] syntax or is that not possible when there are spaces in the filename...?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2012

Never tried that. Try replacing space with %20 and see if it makes any difference.

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2012

Right click and copy link location worked so thanks @Jobin for that quick fix.

Replacing spaces with %20 didn't work :( Confused.

jacinda agantovich December 10, 2018

It is the new version of Jira that no longer supports the [^filename.ext].  I have not found a way to fix this except go to old view, save the syntax then go back to new view

Like # people like this
Frantisek Nemecek February 25, 2019

I am not sure about the spaces in the filename,
however the syntax feature still works: [^filename.ext]
...I have it in use in front of my eyes right now.

Like Simon Feng likes this
Garrett Neuenkirchen March 19, 2019

on mac with chrome, right clicking the attachment does not show "copy link address" option. 

having this was so handy when dealing with multiple attachments. seems like whenever i try the "new view" i'm disappointed within minutes then try to see if there are new ways of doing things. and then ultimately switch back to the "old view" 

Like # people like this
Frantisek Nemecek March 20, 2019

For picture attachments (PNG), the thumbnail syntax works
 !with the arrow, OK.png|thumbnail!
even with spaces in the file name.

jacinda agantovich March 21, 2019

@ Frantisek either I am not clear where to add the thumbnail! or this does NOT work

Garrett Neuenkirchen March 21, 2019

@jacinda agantovich 

!pic.png|thumbnail! is what you are looking for. that will make pic.png attachment appear as inline thumbnail.

Frantisek Nemecek March 21, 2019

The last to try (or two lasts) is the [^] link for a non-pic attachment, i.e. PDF,

and its cover version, like [|^] or so...

jacinda agantovich March 22, 2019

The !pic.png|thumbnail! puts the image inside the text the |^RE 4 Wheeler - RFQ.msg] used to LINK to the text (which keeps your descriptions cleaner

Like Deleted user likes this
2 votes
Edward Chen May 5, 2019

I fixed it by not using 

Jira labs

under personal settings.

Deleted user October 16, 2019

Same i did!

1 vote
Marcin March 14, 2021

I have no idea how to link an attachement into to description field... what the...?

Ilya Ilba March 18, 2021

They have broken it and they don't seem to have intention to fix it back :(

0 votes
Garrett Neuenkirchen March 21, 2019

Suggest an answer