Is it possible to only show certain fields to certain roles/groups when creating an issue?

Jace Proctor December 17, 2014

For example:  I want to hide unnecessary things like sprints, assignees, story points, etc. from my bug reporters, and give them a very simple "name, summary, description, attachment" kind of form for quickly filing bugs. 

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2014

No, JIRA does not do "field level security".  What you see on the "create" screen is the full list of fields you put on it.  If you simplify it by removing fields that you don't need, you simplify it for all users.

However...

There is a function for individuals to remove fields that they personally don't care about - look to the top right of the screen for that

JIRA Service Desk can be used to present very simplified forms to end-users.  It doesn't affect people who are supposed to be in the project as JIRA users, and it severely limits the end-user interaction (they raise a request with minimal information, see a status, SLA and progress, and that's about it - the rest of JIRA does not apply to them).  See https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk

There is a "field security" addon which can hide fields by user - see https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.quisapps.jira.jfs (This is not 100% "secure", in that users will still be able to find out that fields are there in searches, but not the actual content.  That is a very minor flaw that 99.99% of users don't have any issue with)

0 votes
Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2014

Hello

One option could be to create a transition with a role-based condition in which you show a page with the additional fields that the role should enter. That way only people in that role will be able to add those fields. You could even add a condition so that the transition button be shown only if that specific field is empty.

I hope this helps.

Suggest an answer