Is it possible to merge two instances of JIRA

Our organization currently has two instances of JIRA with different projects in each instances and both are running older version of JIRA.

We have installed latest version of JIRA on a new server. Now we want to merge both the instances into the new one.

We have taken XML backup of both the old versions and want to know if its possible to restore both into single new version so that all old projects show up in single instance.

Thanks.

6 answers

Hi Nithin,

The best option in this situation is use the import project functionality. This is also suggested in this doc.

Cheers

OLD version of JIRA is 4.0 and new version is 6.2.

I would suggest you first upgrade the two old instances from 4.0 to 6.2 and then merge them to ensure that all your projects work on 6.2 as expected and fix any problems that might be caused by the version upgrade.

A potential problem you might have when using import project from backup is JIRA configuration as the project import requires all configuration (schemes, fields, screens, etc...) from System1 to be available on System2 before importing the project.

We have a special consulting offering for merging two instances of JIRA which includes all issues, project configuration, filters and dashboards. If you are interested contact us at sales@botronsoft.com

I have done such job for one client (250 and 450 users in each instance). I have done it through  database updates and partially  using native Project Import tool. It is not an easy and straightforward task, and aside from technical complexity, it requires attention to existing users and good change control. 

JIRA structures and schemes may differ in both instances dramatically. It is important to have very transparent and clear structure at least in the target instance. 

I used interim instance of the same version (and the same schemes and screens) as the target instance.  I recreated JIRA schemes and  screens in interim's instance database from the dumps of the source instance, and from interim instance into the target instance.

What version of JIRA are you old instances running and what version of JIRA is your new instance running ?

We do have a KB article on how to merge JIRA instances in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Merge+JIRA+Instances

Basically, the steps that you would have to take is to use the Restoring a Project from XML Backup feature.

This now brings over some of the Agile data but not data from other add-ons, or filters, dashboards, agile boards etc

Correct. Plugin developer needs to make an improvement to allow importing AO data by referring to https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/projects/guide-extending-the-jira-import-plugin

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,097 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot