Is it possible to manage sessions per User

Ivan Kovnatsky March 31, 2014

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering is that possible to reset user session, so a user could auto-logged-out when reloading JIRA's page? Thanks.

Ivan.

2 answers

0 votes
Ivan Kovnatsky April 1, 2014

Hi Caspar,

Thank you for the answer. But somehow we do not see all the sessions in the crowd. For example, when I see over 300 user sessions in JIRA, I got only 2 user sessions in Crowd, for JIRA/Crowd shared user directory. Also I tried to expire the session of that user, and he wasn't logged out by reloading the page. While expiring the user of Crowd internal directory expiring his session when reloads the browser page with Crowd admin panel opened.

Could you give a hint on that? Thank you.

Ivan.

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2014

Have you got JIRA configured to use SSO with Crowd?

Ivan Kovnatsky April 2, 2014

Caspar,

Yes. We have one login for every user accross JIRA/Confluence/FishEye/ also Jenkins configured to use logins from Crowd directory.

Ivan.

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2014

Okay, that doesn't necessarily make it clear to me that you've got SSO enabled (login once to access all those apps), only that you have a shared userbase (the same credentials work on all those apps). If SSO isn't enabled, then Crowd won't know about sessions. If you do have SSO enabled, then I suspect that JIRA is doing some caching on its side. I suggest you raise a support request to figure out exactly what's going on if this is important to you, because this answers platform is not well suited to discussion and troubleshooting :)

Ivan Kovnatsky April 3, 2014

Caspar,

I thought that SSO is one login among all the applications connected to shared CROWD's directory. I just don't understand why we had only two user sessions on that shared directory (in CROWD admin panel), while we have ~300 users concurrently working in JIRA/Confluence.

Ivan.

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2014

Your confusion is understandable; one login is a term which can mean one of 2 things:

1) The same username and password works across multiple applications, but you still have to sign on to each one separately (shared userbase). Crowd gets you this for free if you have JIRA/Confluence/other apps connected to it.

2) The same username and password works across multiple applications, and when once you have signed in to one application then you are automatically signed into all the applications (single sign on). Crowd supports this, but it requires a bit more configuration: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Overview+of+SSO

If you are in situation 1 of the two listed above - that is, shared userbase but not sso (which I'm not sure of, but it sounds like that is the case) - then each application is connected to Crowd to check usernames and passwords but is creating and managing its own sessions, so Crowd doesn't know about those sessions.

If this still doesn't make sense, our support team can probably give you a better answer. They're smart guys and gals!

Ivan Kovnatsky April 3, 2014

Caspar,

Thanks a lot!

Sorry, makes total sense. We'll probably (with the next CROWD upgrade)
configure SSO to make user sessions manageable through CROWD.

Ivan.

0 votes
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
April 1, 2014

If JIRA is connected to Crowd, yes, you can expire users' sessions manually: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Managing+a+User's+Session

Suggest an answer