Is it possible to limit one issue type in a project so it can only be created through the move functionality?

esinclair April 28, 2014

We have a scenario where project administartors need to be able to move a simple bug issue type to a more complex bug issue type after triage has been done and it is determined how a bug will be fixed. Is it possible in JIRA 4.4.5 to set it up so the complex bug issue type does not show up in any create issue drop down at all and only shows when a project admin uses the move function?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2014

Oh, I like the easy ones.

No.

There's no way to do this without hacking the core code, and it's complex enough that it's not something I'd even try!

esinclair April 28, 2014

Ok, then how about we simplify the ask...

Can we restrict "create issue" to a limited group for only one issue type in a project while the other issue types are open to "anyone"?

We tried that using the workflow but the solution was inelegant. The user was able to select the issue type in the drop down and didn't get an error until they had filled out teh create screen and clicked on create.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2014

Nope, similar problem. You've already run into the clumsy workaround by blocking it in the workflow.

But it is a bit easier. I think the behaviours plugin can do this for you.

There's also the possibility of javascript to remove the option on the client side, but generally hacking javascript into Jira is a bit of a pain, worse to make it work properly and everywhere it needs to, nasty to maintain, awful to upgrade, and the very first thing experience admins bin as soon as they can. So, seriously, try behaviours ;-)

esinclair April 28, 2014

Thank you for your input, Nic.

Suggest an answer