• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Is it possible to keep the same jira number after re-assigning the same jira ticket to a different project or a new project. If yes How? the Jira ticket does not chenge within the same project

Is it possible to keep the same jira number after re-assigning the same jira ticket to a different project or a new project. If yes How? the Jira ticket does not chenge within the same project

Herbert Ncube August 19, 2012

Is it possible to keep the same jira number after re-assigning the same jira ticket to a different project or a new project. If yes How? the Jira ticket does not change within the same project but if i reassign to a different project , the Jira number changes

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2012

No.

Issues have the project key as an integral part of their identity, and the numeric part of the key is taken as "the next free number". It has to be done that way to preserve the uniqueness.

Thank you Nic and Thomas , This explaination is clear and straight to the point, "owesome"

I now understand why the jira number will change

0 votes
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2012

How should this be possible?

If the number is already taken in the new project there is no way to assign it to the moved issue - otherwise two issues would have the same number. If you keep the key-number combination there is no way to tell the issue belongs to another project now...

Thanks Thomas, Let me try and explain my question. Example, My project is called A, i create an issue, and assigne it some one within my Project, (Jira Ticket will be e.g Jira 10), Then i think of reassigning the same issue to a different Project which is B, Definately the jira number will change, but what i want is to keep the same Jira number (jira 10) for tracking purpose. How do i do this or its not possibly, in Jira V 5.1

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2012

This is not possible, as keeping the key "Jira-10" would indicate the issue still belongs to project A.

But using the Jira-10 URL would redirect you to the new ID - if that helps...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2012

The problem in that scenario remains uniqueness. You've got issues AA-10 and BB-10, if you try to move AA-10 into project BB, then you simply can't keep the number, it's not possible.

As Thomas says though, http://myjira/AA-10 will redirect your users to the correct place after the move.

Suggest an answer