Is it possible to have the "assignee" auto change to the group name it's assigned too?

Gregory Hicks August 1, 2012

Hello Jira!

I have a question about workflow rules.

So here is what I have done, I created a dummy custom work flow the goes from Technical Review (open) --> Manager (review) --> developers (in progress)--> Resolved (closed).

I set up a conditions for each work flow as follows.

Task is created (Only users with create permission can execute this transition)

Task goes to Technical Review (Only users in group GroupAssure Lead Developers can execute this transition)

Task goes to Manager (Only users in group GroupAssure Lead Developers can execute this transition)

Task goes to Developer (Only users in group GroupAssure Manager can execute this transition)

Task goes to Closed (Only users in group GroupAssure Developers can execute this transition)

**What i noticed is that if you add the group to the level it should be at you can't push it to the next workflow so you have to add the group 1 ahead.**

So only the people in those groups can move the request forward but my problem is the Assignee and Reporter name stay as the person's name.

Is it possible to have the "ticket created"

Assignee:GroupAssure Lead Developers

Reporter: Gregory Hicks

People in the Lead Dev group aprove the request move it down the workflow to Manager

Assingee:GroupAssure Managers

People from the Manager's group move it down to the workflow to developers

Assingnee GroupAssure Developers

and so on.

Our production enviornment is working on 4.1.2 and our Stage enviornment is working on 5.0.4. We are planning on upgrading Prod to 5.0 when we work out all the kinks.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks

Greg

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2012

Mot of that works fine, except that Jira does not support groups as assignees, it has to be a user account.

I generally work around that by creating dummy users - e.g. for "GroupAssure Developers", I'd create a user like "groupassure_developers", with the name "GroupAssure Developers" and then an email address that I'd set on my email server to be a distribution list for the developers. Put it in the developer group of course, so it can be assigned issues.

Gregory Hicks August 1, 2012

That's not a bad idea. i'll see if the client will work with that.

Suggest an answer