Is it possible to have the custom field of User Picker to default to unassigned?

Eric Mason January 25, 2018

Is it possible to have the custom field of User Picker to default to unassigned?  If it contained the value of unassigned would it then show up on the main issue view screen?  I have to add some of these fields for auditing purposes and would like them available in that view.  Fields only showing when populated is not great UX if it is something you use frequently in that view like "story points".  I understand there are keyboard shortcuts for everything, but I would like to be able to customize.

2 answers

1 vote
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

The value "unassigned" is special for the system field "Assignee". This value cannot be selected for any other User Picker field, even not for "Reporter".

If you just need to have any value select, so that the user picker field gets visible, then you could create a dummy user "unassigned" or "none" that will be pre filled by a workflow change (or some scripting).

Eric Mason January 25, 2018

That was my first thought...none before unassigned to avoid confusion.  Still not a great fix and may be easier to just have them live in the side panel where i can actually surface what I want.  To not have control of what is in the main issue view screen doesn't make sense.

0 votes
Sally S_ Miller September 25, 2018

I guess the other trick would be to train my users to use the . shortcut key that quickly brings up the field editor and modify the field.  I will be changing Mr. Unassigned to be Mr. NONE

Suggest an answer