Is it possible to have identical fix versions across multiple projects?

David Mitchell March 12, 2013

I was wondering if it possible to have identical fix versions across multiple projects? We have multiple teams, each who have their own project, defecting the same fix version, and currently cannot filter via fix version because the option is hidden when dealing with multiple projects. One solution we came up with would be to use a custom field for this, but even if that works we lose a fair bit of functionality. Does anyone know a solution for this?

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2013

If you switch to advanced search you can write

fixVersion = "xx 3.6"

and this would match all versions with this name in all projects.

Henning

David Mitchell March 20, 2013

This was kinda what I was hoping to avoid, but is an acceptable workaround. Thanks!

Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2023

This is helpful. Thanks

3 votes
Remie Bolte
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2013

@David: I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but we have just launched our Version Sync add-on for JIRA to the Marketplace that will do exactly this. It will automatically keep versions in sync between multiple projects, where you have one "Master" project and an unlimited number of linked projects to which version changes are propagated. This might make this workaround less cumberome for you.

1 vote
Mika Nokka November 22, 2016

I found this question when I had a similar issue. I used Script Runner's Version Synchroniser Listener to have same version names in two different projects

Daniel Luevano March 15, 2017

How you did this thru SR?

Mika Nokka March 15, 2017

Script Runner provides readymake Listeners, one of them is this Version Synccing. One just defines source project and target project where version changes are reflected.

One can also script this kinda behaviour; In one case only when source project does a release the version was wanted to appear in the target project. I ended writing listener for release events in source project and then creating (just using the same name) the version for target project. 

1 vote
Joshua Deixler April 17, 2013

We are currently using mutliple projects for different teams (Network, Storage, Product, Application Development, etc) and use Version for Stage Gate Projects. I am looking for a consolidated report that shows all of the points necessary across the different projects to complete shared fixed versions. Is this something that is currently in development?

1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2013

Hi David, at this time it's not possible to have the same version on different project, not in database at least, but @Tietgens answer could be your best approach. You can create version on different projects but specifying the same number version, so when you use advance search you can find like @Tietgens said.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer