Is it possible to have distinct workflow depending on channel (portal or email)?

Davide Paleari February 16, 2015

I would need to set different workflow (to set fields with default values, basically) depending on the channel the issue has been raised with (portal or email). Is it possible and how?

Thnak you very much,

Davide Paleari

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2015

Not unless you set up some way to trap the route by which an issue was created.  

JIRA doesn't care if an issue was raised via the GUI, REST, Email, etc, it just logs the issue and does not distinguish between methods of creation.  So you'd need to do something to catch it.  Your requirement is a little harder than just catching the route.  Different workflows means you would need different projects or issue types, so what you probably want to do is set up two issue types, telling JIRA to use one type when issues arrive via email, and another when they come in via the portal.

Davide Paleari February 16, 2015

Hi Nic, your suggestion is good: setting up a specific issue type to associate to the email channel, I can configure a workflow on that only issue type. The problem now is: how can I hide that issue type from being visible on the portal? Thank you, very much

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2015

That's where my suggestion falls down - you can't hide issue types from the portal (without code, which you can't do on Cloud)

Suggest an answer