Is it possible to have a Test Case Assigned to someone else and they receive an email notification

Antonio Francis February 13, 2018

Is it possible to have a Test Case which has been started and then has to be Assigned to someone else and they receive an email notification so they know that they have to continue with that Test Case.

2 answers

1 vote
Antonio Francis August 4, 2019

Hi,

No as far as I have researched Users don't get emails for assigning a Test Case but they do if they create a Defect.

Thanks,

Tony.

Kristina Creque August 5, 2019

Thank you for responding!  That's really unfortunate.  Would be nice for a QA manager to be able to assign tests to individual testers and for the testers to be notified when that happens.  alas . . . . 

Hassan Hashmi August 13, 2019

Following this thread. Agree with Kristina, would be really nice to have this feature. 

Arshiya Ali February 16, 2020

I have also been searching high and low for this feature as its something that is really needed if we are running business scenario testing across geographies,

The only available way right now is to assign the test case (not execution) to the next in line, and I am sure this is a requirement from a lot of Zephyr/JIRA users...

Please look into fixing this issue, Zephyr

Mia Perron October 25, 2022

Two years later and it blows my mind this feature does not exist. Email notifications are available in competitive applications like AIO. Zephyr needs to catch up.

0 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2018

@Antonio Francis yes. You'll have to update your notification settings. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 9.37.29 AM.png> the project you want to update > Notifications > Update 'Issue Assigned' 

You can add groups or project roles to this. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 9.38.50 AM.png

Antonio Francis February 14, 2018

Hi Brittany,

Thank you for your response and help so far.

I tried your suggestion but the Tester does not get a notification when the Test Case is assigned to him.

I added a Group which is all Users in Jira.

I have attached a screen picture.

1. Screen picture.PNG

1..PNG2.PNG3.PNGThis is my scenario in case I haven't explained myself clearer:

- I go to Test Cycle and select the Test Case I want to execute

- I click the E and go into the Test Case so I can execute it

- I start to execute the first step and then with the second step I need someone else in the Team to execute.

- I assign the Test Case to that person but they don't receive an email telling them that they need to execute this Test Case

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2018

Hi @Antonio Francis what test case management tool are you currently using? 

I'm thinking it may be a configuration within the too itself rather than Jira. 

We are using the Zephyr Tool but even when I create Test Cases from within Jira not uploaded by Zephyr the Users do not receive the email to notify them that a Test Case is waiting for them to be executed. 

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2018

@Antonio Francis 

Try the below troubleshooting ideas for notifications. 

1. Use JIRA Notification Helper to check if the user suppose to get notified of Issue Assigned.
  2. If yes, then check the Mail queue right after adding a new comment - do you see any Mail item in the queue? This is the simple way to check if JIRA is triggering the notification email based on the action.
  3. If yes, then check your Mail Server if it is receiving the Mail item or not.
  4. Another method would be analyzing the log file, refer to Notifications Troubleshooting for more detailed troubleshooting steps.

Hope one of these helps! 

Kristina Creque July 23, 2019

@Antonio Francis did you ever figure this out?  It seems like updates to Zephyr level test executions does not bubble up to any of the Jira notifications.

Suggest an answer