Is it possible to get a count of JIRA issues while bypassing the 1,000 records query limit?

David Figueiras-Garcia August 27, 2017

In a particular Project, we have 2K+ JIRA tickets.

I know I can retrieve those in batches of 1,000 max; but is it possible to get the total count in a sigle API call?

I searched previous threads but couldn't find anything related to this.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT

Just to clarify: I'm OK retrieving tickets from the JIRA API in batches (in fact, I think that's the way one should do it).

The problem is there is no way to find out beforehand how many total tickets I will need to retrieve in said batches.

There are ways to ensure minimal number of API calls, but without knowing the total beforehand, it's not pretty.

2 answers

0 votes
philubert January 31, 2022

Set MaxResults to zero, e.g.

https://www.example.com/rest/api/latest/search?jql=filter=12345&maxResults=0

Then get the total from the result which will look like this:

{"startAt":0,"maxResults":0,"total":1234,"issues":[]}
0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2017

Hi David,

This limitation is explained in Changing maxResults Parameter for JIRA REST API:

By default, both JIRA issue navigator and REST API cannot return more than a maximum of 1000 search results (regardless the value passed for the maxResults field in case of REST API calls).

There was a feature request for this behavior that you can find at JRACLOUD-45639.  Pleas vote on JRACLOUD-45639 and add your use case to the comments for impact.

Cheers,

Branden

David Figueiras-Garcia August 28, 2017

Thanks Branden!

My question/problem is slightly different though (see my edit for more specific details).

Suggest an answer