Is it possible to export a list of all projects with their category?

Gabriel Porras February 3, 2013

Is it possible to export a list of all projects with their category?

6 answers

2 accepted

28 votes
Answer accepted
Ronald Vallenduuk October 27, 2017

The quickest way I know is using the Jira API:

Go to https://[yourdomain].atlassian.net/rest/api/2/project

That gives you a json object with all your projects.

Then use a json to csv converter like https://json-csv.com/ and a few seconds later you have a file you can open in Excel.

There's a lot more you can do with the API; it's also an easy way to export users and groups.

Vicki Lea Tsang December 10, 2018

Brilliant! Thanks!

Rudhra Murthy December 28, 2018

Awesome! This worked great!

Ronald, If you could help us on how to get any data from Jira into json objects similar to this so that?

For example, you have given the URL "https://[yourdomain].atlassian.net/rest/api/2/project" to get the list of projects. 

What if we want to see list of Test steps?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks in advance!

Rudhra murthy

Arun_Thundyill_Saseendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2018

This is a very well quick working solution.

Lucien Cighir March 12, 2019

This has done it, and in general, the Jira API is a powerful tool, thanks for the solution!

Blaise Rey-Mermet April 18, 2019

Nice - Note that you can also convert the JSON data locally with three lines of python code, by unsing the pandas library:

I use PyCharm and Anaconda ( www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/promo/anaconda/ ) , that comes preconfigured with pandas.

import anaconda_project
import pandas
pandas.read_json("input.json").to_excel("output.xlsx")

Thanks for the solution. 

Dinesh June 6, 2019

This is a simple solution and it worked great, I have a quick comment, instead of UUID can we get the person who created the project or how can we query using the UUID to get the user name. 

Cliff Audinet July 9, 2019

So, this worked as others have stated.  Curious that Jira Software does not let you export a project list with possibly some status info by default from within the app.  You cannot modify the column layout on the Projects list either.  Maybe a default project report at the org level would be nice.  

Thanks to Ronald Vallenduuk for blazing that trail to a reasonably useful solution!

Cliff

Mahesh Gupta October 10, 2019

Ronald, this tip of you has worked but is there a way to pull the Project Lead as well along with these details?

Shekharendu Mohanty November 13, 2019

How can i export list of Project lead names with help of API?

fbabu November 27, 2020

How do I get the list of Groups instead project? I tried replacing Projects with groups and it didnt work.? Please help. Also, if you can help with the Boards as well, much appreciated.

Eugene Simon January 19, 2021

Thank you Ronald.  Your solution worked a treat.

4 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

No direct way, you can do it if you are comfortable with jquery to run a short script in your browser console to extract it.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

Will try to get you one script if time permits.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

Try this in the javascript console:

AJS.$('.inall').each(function(i){

var category = AJS.$(this).find('h3').text();

AJS.$(this).find('div div table tbody tr').each(function(i) {

console.log(category + ',' +
	AJS.$(this).children('td:nth-child(1)').text().trim() + ',' +
	AJS.$(this).children('td:nth-child(2)').text().trim() + ',' +
	AJS.$(this).children('td:nth-child(3)').text().trim() );

});

});

Copy paste the output in the console (comma separated to an Excel)

3 votes
Rui Pereira June 29, 2017

Here is a low tech version of how I did it:

1. Click Projects>View all Projects
  2. Select the whole table with the mouse, including the Title Row
  3. Copy
  4. Open Excel
  5. New Blank Worksheet
  6. Past (Match Destination Formating)
  7. Delete Rows where Name=="Blank"
  8. Save in format you need ;-)

Hope this helps

Földes László October 3, 2017

The All Project page shows only 25 projects on a single page, and you have change page to the next 25 projects. Which makes this process very cumbersome.

Nag April 18, 2018

On other hands, Instead of all projects in "Projects" tab

Goto Jira Admin section(cog icon) on right top corner --> choose "Projects"

It will list all available Jira projects in the current instance.

Hope this will help you guys...

Like Diane Jentilet likes this
William December 3, 2020

Again this is limited to 25 projects at a time. At least it is in my version of Jira.

1 vote
Jira Admin December 13, 2018

I find it odd that I can just get a list into excel simply a list of all of my projects

Jira Admin December 13, 2018

I mean without having to do one of the above mentioned suggestions

1 vote
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2013

Hi Furore,

Yes you can, the 'Search for Issues' screen allows you to create your custom filters and then export to multiple formats using the 'Views' option. The following guide outlines this process: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Exporting+Search+Results+to+Microsoft+Excel

Cheers,

Paul

Gabriel Porras February 4, 2013

Thanks Paul, but We already export all Issues from Jira, with all Excel fields.

No one field has the Category.

Any other idea?

Thanks!

Chris Atkinson January 27, 2016

That would only export a project's issues – The problem trying to be solved is how to export a list of projects.

Mahesh Gupta October 10, 2019

@Paul Greig I'd like to use your assistance for exporting all the projects listed under my site along with the Project Leads listed.

Could you help me out with this? 

AMÁLIA Briese September 6, 2023

Quero aprender a dominar a ferramenta ao meu perfil,para assim podermos fazer uma gestão de comunicadores instantâneos.

0 votes
AMÁLIA Briese September 6, 2023

E agora quero saber o que você acharam do meu painel anterior 👆📒☕

Suggest an answer