Is it possible to edit the issue view screen layout?

Leandro Nunes May 31, 2011

I mean not only the order of fields, but the way of how the fields and sections are disposed on the issue view screen.

10 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

6 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Menere [Atlassian] November 29, 2012

Hey Jason,

In 5.1 we started porting code from JSPs to web-panels. We completed this work during 5.2. Each block on the view-issue page is now a plugin. This gives us a lot more flexibility.

Under jira-components/jira-plugins lives a plugin - jira-view-issue-plugin.

In this plugin there are a number of web-panels defined. You can either update this plugin and upload your new version, or create a new web-panel and disable the old one you want to replace.

These panels are displayed in 2 columns (As specified by the location) and ordered by the weight.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nick Menere

JIRA Engineering Manager

Jason Brison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2012

Hi Nick,

I looked around and couldn't find any references to 'jira-components', however I took what I know about jira and looked in <jira_data_folder>/plugins/.bundled-plugins and I was able to find a "jira-view-issue-plugin-5.2.jar".

We will take a look into that and hopefully it's the same thing you were describing.

Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2014

For JIRA 5.2.x to 6.2.7 you may follow the instructions on J-trick's tutorial: http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2012/05/modifying-atlassian-bundled-plugins.html From JIRA 6.3 onwards, the jira-view-issue-plugin JAR can be found on the JIRA_INSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled-plugins folder.

mahsa rafiee May 12, 2015

Hi Nick, I have problem in reordering a third-part plugin (named structuremodule in the view issue screen) I can easily reorder all other components using the jira-view-issue-plugin, but the structure plugin must be probably modified from its own jar file. and changing all the weights found in its manifest file didn't help. Do you have any idea, how the third-party plugins are placed in the view issue page? I greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.

1 vote
HarryH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2013

Plesae try Jobin's tutorials, http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2012/05/modifying-atlassian-bundled-plugins.html, it has a clean way on how to hack this.

1 vote
Nick Menere [Atlassian] December 2, 2012

Jason,

Sorry, I was referring to the source build. It ultimately gets packaged into the jar file you mention. You defintely could edit, the *.vm files or the css in that file and repackage.

1 vote
MinC
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2011

Is this feature request that you are looking for?

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9802

Peter Valdemar Mørch November 2, 2016

Great:

This issue can't be viewed

The issue you're trying to view can't be displayed.
It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to view it right now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2016

Things have moved on in the last 5 years...

Stephanie Latterman July 11, 2017

So where should we look now if we need help with this in 2017?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

Still that Atlassian JIRA install, but the message is the same - Atlassian have no plans to make it more flexible, so you're into hacking it.  (And it's going to change a lot on Cloud)

0 votes
Pernilla Uhlin November 6, 2013

If I understand this right, it means that the modification of the issue view screen will be applied for all projects?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

Correct - there is only one definition of each way to look at an issue.

You could write code that displays differently by project, but it'll be a bit of a mess - think about the issue navigator as an example. If a user runs a filter for two different projects that you've decided to display differently, then as they page through the results, the formats are going to change, which is disjointing and confusing.

In other words, stick with one layout for your system.

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2012

Hey Nick, sort of related to this. In JIRA 5.1.7 what would be your suggestion for the quickest way to ensure a wider 1st column in the id="issuedetails" ul.?

One of our client instances has some large customfield values and I think the right hand side (class="item item-right") is pushing the left side too small, cutting off the custom field names.

Thanks

0 votes
Jason Brison
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2012

Interested in this as well, knew where the files were in 5.x but cannot find them now in 5.2.

Does anyone know where the templates I need to edit are now in 5.2?

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2011

You can edit velocity templates to edit screen layouts.

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2011

I think this can be done up to a certain level with CSS.

CSS code can be written inside field descriptions.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2011

Not without modifying the relevant jsps and templates. That is an option though!

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question