Is it possible to edit Start or End date of a Sprint, while Sprint has already begun?

silversonicaxel August 15, 2017

Hello, easy question, is it possible to edit Start or End dates of a Sprint, while the Sprint itself has already begun?
We had to postpone of one day the Sprint Planning, then I created the Sprint setting the day before as starting date.
On a monday, as every time I started a Sprint.
Consequence of this action is that Velocity is already broken, due to the fact that all changes happened between in the first day -before Sprint Planning - were registered in the reports.

As a fix, I would like to change the Start Date, but I could not find a way.
Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

Hi Alessandro,

you can change the start date in the backlog view of your board by just hovering over it:

image.png

silversonicaxel August 15, 2017

Oh thanks, I was very blind! :D

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2017

no problem :-)

If you think, your question is answered, please mark it as answered.

Other user find answered questions then more easy. Thank you.

Chrissie November 13, 2018

It appears this feature has now been moved to the three-dot menu that appears to the far right of the line that includes the Sprint name line, open and closed tickets, linked issues, etc. Click the three-dot menu and select "Edit Sprint."

Here, you can change the Sprint name, start and end dates/time, and sprint goal.

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 12.44.57 PM.png 

Like # people like this
KRC December 11, 2018

@Chrissie is this for active sprints or for closed sprint? For active sprints, I don't see the option to edit end date

Chrissie December 11, 2018

For active sprints. Yes, you can edit the end date for an active sprint from the Backlog view (not the active sprint view, which is where I had been looking). Click the three dot menu to the right of the name of the active sprint and select "Edit Sprint." In the next window you can edit the sprint name, start and end dates, and description. 

Hope that helps!

Like Krisna Leo Parista likes this
KRC December 11, 2018

In my view of backlog and three dots, I only get: Add Sprint Goal" and I have a pencil icon next to active sprint title and by changing date there, sprint is not being replanned, it still says X days remaining instead of x+2 

For me to edit any sprint details, sprint has to be closed, and navigate to reports from side bar>select sprint>three dots>edit

Is your Jira cloud or server?

Xaviar Steavenson March 25, 2019

Absolutely amazes me how cluttered that section of Jira is that this can go completely unnoticed. We've been using Jira for almost 10 years and this somehow came up for the first time today. As three administrators scratch their head and 'I'm sure there's a way... that would be a dumb thing not to be able to change!'

Yet we end up on Google and this post before we found it. :) Seems like Atlassian needs to continue to spend time on UX on Jira!

Like # people like this
Gail October 30, 2020

Thanks. 

Woojae Lee April 22, 2021

Scrum_-_Agile_Board_-_Jira.png

Click on the ... will let you modify sprint date. 

Like Krisna Leo Parista likes this
Petr Klapka April 23, 2021

Only once the sprint has been started.  The option to change the dates before the sprint is started and thereby "pre-schedule" future sprints isn't available. 

Simon Hedges January 5, 2022

So it looks like the answer to the original question (changing dates ONCE A SPRINT HAS STARTED) is "no". 

If anyone has actually managed to change a sprint date while a Sprint is in progress, and on Jira Server or Jira DataCenter please speak up.

Like Katja Glad likes this
Katie Flemington January 12, 2022

You can change the date of an active sprint from the backlog here: 

JIRA.PNG

Simon Hedges January 13, 2022

Hi Katie, thanks - got it to work now.

Like Katie Flemington likes this
Katja Glad March 1, 2022

So it seems like, I can only change the planned start date but not the time the sprint actually started. This leaved me still with the problem that my graphs (e.g. Burndown) look off as the sprint started before all the changes were made. Any ideas?Screenshot 2022-03-01 at 16.49.58.pngScreenshot 2022-03-01 at 17.11.15.png

Like # people like this
Ke Chen May 26, 2022

Agree, can change the planned date, but the actual start date is the date you started. So it's not helping the chart

Suggest an answer