Is it possible to dynamically change the edit screen depending on the issue type selected?

Tristan Blazquez January 10, 2018

The Create Screen works like that, where, based on my issue type screen schemes, if I change the issue type the Create screen is automatically reloaded to match the new selected issue type's screen.

However it doesn't do it dynamically in the Edit Screen, there i have to change the type, hit the update button, and the next time I want to edit the issue the screen will have updated.

So is it possible at all, in which case how do I set it up, or am I stuck with having to reload the edit screen manually?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2018

Hello,

If you are on Jira Server/Data Center, you could have it done with an add-on like Adaptivist Scriptrunner or Power Scripts. You would need to write some code. But I would not do it. The code would be difficult to support.

Tristan Blazquez January 22, 2018

Alright so there is no built-in way to do it then, thank you!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2018

For the background, there's no reason for Jira to do it.  If you are changing issue type on the edit screen as a field, then the source and target types are, by definition, configured to use identical fields and workflows.

Tristan Blazquez January 22, 2018

That's the thing though, fields are different, workflow is the same but some issue types are branching out in different directions using transition conditions.

Modifying the issue type was just an icing on the cake really and would spare us the reloading of the page (as this works just fine), it's not that big of a deal, I'm just surprise th create screen reloads on change, while the edit screen doesn't, you'd think they share that sort of behaviour.

As I said though, not that big of a deal :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2018

The data might change, but if two issue types don't have the same fields, you can't change between issue types by changing the issue type "field".

Suggest an answer