Is it possible to do a search in Jira without specifying an user?

Valentin Borlea January 9, 2014

Is there a way to search issues using Jira API (using Jql queries) which does not require to specify an user?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2014

Not really - the system generally needs a user so it can parse through the user permissions. If you bypass that, you might as well bin all your security and then use any old dummy user in your searches.

That said, yes, there is code you can delve into, but it's not generally a good idea.

Could you explain what you're trying to achieve? We may be able to get you a better/cleaner way of doing it than an insecure search.

Valentin Borlea January 9, 2014

Thank you for your quick answer!

My goal is to save data from a search result into an external database, so that I can reuse it into another application.

In fact, I want to do a query which implies a Jql function and to save the issue counting in the database.

I think there is no other alternative, but I was wondering that since this is a Jira plugin I can search in query without specifying a user.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2014

If you want to bypass all the security like that, you might as well just read the Jira database directly. Or set up a dummy user who has read-access to all projects

Suggest an answer