Is it possible to disable "Anyone" drop down in search filters in jira?

jayasingh February 14, 2013

Hi All,

when i go to manage filters and click on search i will be able to see two text field and one select field.In select field named shared i can see three dropdown 1.Anyone 2.Group 3.Project. Is it possible to disable the Anyone drop down? Because when i select anyone option and if i start searching i am able to see many other project filters. I should be able to see only my filters.

Kindly help me in this

Thanks,

Jayasingh

2 answers

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2013

Jaya,

I didn't get what the issue is if Anyone is shown in that dropdown. It will show only those filters which are shared to 'Anyone'. Is your request regarding searching or is your request to avoid sharing to 'Anyone' by users?

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2013

hi jaya.

whats the version of jira you're using?

i try to understand what you're aiming at...but i not 100% sure if i get it...

but

NO. you can't disables "Anyone" from the filter search dropdown cause it filters out results that are shared with all your users..

if you only want to see YOUR filters i suggest you hit the "My" tab

jayasingh February 14, 2013

Hi Faysal,

Thanks for your reply

From your suggestion we cant disable the "Anyone" dropdown. But if the user is having access to only one project how the user is able to view all the other project filter. Is this a bug in jira?

Kindly let me know

Thanks,

Jayasingh

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2013

Er, there's no such thing as a "project filter". A filter is a definition of a search. It might well contain a "project is x" clause, but that's utterly irrelevant when it comes to seeing a list of filters. If you created some rather painful logic like "user can only see filters that include a clause for projects they can see", you could do this, but the coding would be horrendous (checking user permissions and reading every single clause in every filter) and it wouldn't really add much value to Jira.

It's not a bug that a user can see all the public filters, it's deliberate design, and it's correct.

Anyway, back to the "anyone" question. I can see why you want to remove that. You don't want users just saying "I'll make this completely public because I can't be bothered to think about visibility". I think I saw a feature request on Atlassian's Jira to implement this, but I can't find it at the moment - might be worth raising as my memory may be misleading me.

It does need some coding to do it. I'd actually make it a bit more complex - remove "anyone" and also the option "jira users" from the "groups" list, because that does pretty much the same - exposes filters to anyone who can log in.

Suggest an answer