Is it possible to disable Excel export?

Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2012

We noticed that if a user concurrently takes Excel exports of query results, it causes a huge performance impact. It is normal human behaviour that if a web page does not respond for a certain period, they click whatever the link again & again until it responds. Having the same Excel export request makes causes JIRA freeze after some time.

This seems to be a very easy denial of service attack.

* Is it possible to disable Excel exports globally?

* Is it possible to restrict Excel exports for a particular role?

* Is it possible to limit the number of Excel export requests accepted from server per minute?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2012

1. Yes, disable the plugin that provides it

2. No, it's global

3. Not in Jira, but I understand that you can throttle it if you've got a web-server in front of Jira (I'm not an expert here, but there's an engineer nearby who does something like that on another system here, using Apache)

+4, you can also limit the number of issues they can export, which will cap the load from a single run, although that affects RSS and so-on as well.

david kreuter August 20, 2015

Can you tell me which plugin to disable in order to get rid of the Excel export function?

Suggest an answer