Is it possible to deactivate the Activity Stream from a Project Summary screen? Mainly needed for external users.

Dan Cormick April 22, 2012

Hi,

We have a project that requires an external user to submit issues. We very much need to prevent them from viewing the Activity Stream as it shows sensitive information about the project.

Is it possible to deactive the Activity Stream on a specific project from a particular user?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2013

Not possible :))

1 vote
Andrzej Pasterczyk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2012

You might customize the VM template. See comments under http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+the+Activity+Stream+Gadget

WEB-INF\classes\templates\plugins\jira\projectpanels\fragments\summary\activitystream.vm

If you put this code before first line

#if(!$authcontext.user.inGroup('my-gruop'))

and close the sentence "if". The result is: You don't view "Activity Stream" for member gruop "my-group"

We're using On-Demand so aren't able to edit anything on the server. I've been able to disable the stream on the system dashboard, but we need to disable the stream that appears on the Project Summary page.

Andrzej Pasterczyk
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2012

Hmmm... I guess you can't hide that in On-demand then. The feature request is registered and tracked under https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/STRM-2000

What info do you wan't to hide? If it's about hiding some JIRA issues you could probably use the issue security schemes to restrict access to particular issues. I think that restricted issues wont show up in activity stream.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue-level+Security

Interesting. I'll attempt to configure the security scheme.

We need to hide all internal activity (ie, everything). The stream shows issue titles, some of which contain sensitive information.

0 votes
Kevin Vaughn April 14, 2016

FYI, issue security seems to hide the activity, if configured.

0 votes
Dan Cormick February 14, 2013

It would be good to get an answer on this (for On Demand). Even if it's not possible. So I can close the question.

Anyone at Atlassian able to respond? So your email system stops asking me to close it.

QA guy June 17, 2014

I'm an on-demand user who also needs the activity stream removed from my instance(s). Does anyone have any update on if this is possible? I really need to find an answer on this.

0 votes
Alan Walworth February 8, 2013

I was not able to get the above advice about using "#if(!$authcontext.user.inGroup('my-gruop'))" to work. I suspect the reason is that, as explained in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-21257,

In the documentation for JIRA you will find a hint how customize the interface depending on the groups a user belongs to.

Actually this does not work for the dashboard-plugin when rendering <tt>dashboard.vm</tt> as the context does not know about "authcontext". I would like to see this as default context element there, too.

Can anyone provide a way to prevent external users in a given group from seeing the Activity Stream? Even if I remove Activity Stream from the default System Dashboard (which I don't want to do), there is no apparent way to prevent users from creating a new dashboard including Activity Stream.

Jane Davies February 13, 2013

I am interested in doing this also - any ideas?

Suggest an answer