Is it possible to create custom JQL functions for JIRAs Cloud installation?

Brahim ESSALIH September 2, 2016

Hi every body,

I've written and tested a native JQL function. My question is, it is possible to create custom functions to use it in JQL search field ?

for exmaple: issueKey=Proj-2131 AND myFunction(key-12345)  AND projectId = .....

Has anyone out there successfully create a cloud usable function, if so - how?

Thank you in advance

2 answers

2 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2016

I don't think that Atlassian Connect will give this to you either. Historically we have avoided allowing add-on provided JQL functions and have told people to use entity property index's instead: https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/ACJIRA-5

You can raise another feature request in that JIRA project if you like.

However, my suspicion is that you can use indexed add-on entity properties to work around the need for a custom function instead. Have a look at the documentation for that: https://developer.atlassian.com/static/connect/docs/latest/modules/jira/entity-property.html

Brahim ESSALIH September 5, 2016

thanks @Robert Massaiol

2 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2016

No, it is not possible to add JQL functions to JIRA Cloud.

Brahim ESSALIH September 5, 2016

Thank you @Steven Behnke, is there any alternative for that ?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2016

If you read ACJIRA-5, the JIRA issue that Robert linked, you'll notice that they are offering Entity Properties as an alternative to JQL functions. This is why Robert offered the workaround to use the Entity Properties.

You can apply properties to an issue. You can alias the property for searching via JQL, which will allow users to retrieve issues that match the appropriate property.

Suggest an answer