Is it possible to create assignees in JIRA who aren't actually users of the system (and who don't count toward the licensed user number)?

Aaron P April 6, 2016

A strange question no doubt, but I've not been able to find the answer elsewhere - I suspect it's 'no'.

I'm in a situation where, as well as on-site development where developers interact with JIRA as normal, we have off-site development being done where those developers don't have access to the management network where our instance of JIRA lives. Sounds counter-intuitive I know, but stay with me that's what I have to work with.

JIRA is used as it is intended, and reported against, but we're nearing the user limit of our current license. I'm not interested in trying to circumvent licensing and we'll upgrade if that is the only way forward. But, before doing so my question really is about whether there is a mechanism for representing non-user assignees in JIRA without consuming a licensed seat? If so, how do I do it?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2016

No, you're right, you can only assign issues to users, and they have to be active.

Service Desk has the concept of "customers", which don't take up licences, but they're not JIRA users, they get a very limited view of the system.

Aaron P April 7, 2016

Thank Nic, I thought as much.

Cheers,

Aaron

Suggest an answer