Is it possible to create a field that is a drop down list of ALL the projects currently in our Jira?

Kyle Hendricks August 3, 2014

I am trying to create a custom issue type, and I want one of our fields to basically just be a dropdown list of every single project we have active in our Jira currently.

Is that something that can actually be done?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2014

There's one built in already.

Go to Admin -> Custom fields -> Add custom field, select "project picker" and add it.

There is one caveat though - if a user has NO visibility of the project at all, then it will be hidden from the list.

Thank you so much! I will definitely give that a try. It shouldn't be too bad regarding the visibility. Generally speaking only our admins will have access to the only project that uses this field!

0 votes
Arijit Banerjee December 15, 2015

What if I want it to list down the projects from some other JIRA instance.Is there a way o achieve it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2015

You will need to find or write a field add-on that can interrogate the other instance to get a list of projects to present as options

0 votes

Thank you so much! I will definitely give that a try. It shouldn't be too bad regarding the visibility. Generally speaking only our admins will have access to the only project that uses this field!

Suggest an answer