Is it possible to create a custom set of issue fields

Tom February 28, 2013

I would like to be able to group by name a set a of fields that would be assigned to be visible to a particular set of projects. We already have custom issue type schemes defined (project X will have bug story, epic improvement etc) but would now like to limit what fields (keep standard fields, limit custom fields) are available to all those issue types.

I know that custom fields can be either global or project specific, it would be impractical to make each field project specific as I would have to list all the legacy projects when I want to restrict access to my new projects. Given that I already have some fields as global and have 40+ projects I don't know which projects are using which fields actively.

However I would like to be able to assign a named set of fields to each new project so that I can ensure that they all get the same available fields and don't get fields that are not relevant to that type of project (development project, maintenance project, support project).

There is also something called a "Field Configuration Scheme" but I can't seem to work out what value that adds, the docs aren't much help with that.

So is this possible?

We are on JIRA v4.3

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Lewe (LSY)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

Hi Tom,

Jozef is right, a field configuration can do what you want. But you need to assign it to a Field Configuration Scheme in order to assign it to a project.

Basic steps are:

1. Create a new Field Configuration

2. In that configuration, select properties like hidden or mandatory for each field, even the JIRA fields.

3. Create a new Field Configuration Scheme. I that scheme you can assign issue types to Field Configurations. If you only have one Field Configuration assign it to "Default".

4. Administer your project and assign your new Field Configuration Scheme to it.

Since youn can assign a Field Configuration to an issue type you might as well create sever Field Configurations for each of your issue types. In your FIeld Configuration Scheme you can then be more specific, like:

Bug -> Bug Field Cofiguration
Improvement -> Improvement Field Configuration

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
George

Tom March 10, 2013

Thanks George. Its not the most intuitive process but I now understand what needs to be done.

0 votes
Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2013

Field configuration schemes are what are you looking for: Prepare specific field configuration with set-up of visible/required fields and assign this configuration to issues. After that assign scheme to projects.

More in documentation.

Tom March 4, 2013

Thanks Jozef, I will give this a try again and see if I can figure out how to do it this time.

Suggest an answer