Is it possible to change the default field names?

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2012

I'd like to change the names/labels for default fields, such as making "Reporter" say "Owner" and "Summary" say "Title".

Is this possible? Can I make these changes in the administration tools, in the database itself, or not at all?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2012

You can change the default fieldnames by editing the default language jar files. It adds some admin maintenance overhead and is another item to add to the checklist when upgrading as new versions of the product will overwrite customizations you've made, but it is possible.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Customizing+Text

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2012

thanks! looks like way too much to manage for now, but I appreciate the info.

Diego Gomez October 6, 2020

@Adam Saint-Prix are you still able to change default fieldnames? this post is old and link above is not working.

0 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2012

You're welcome.

daphna tsachor December 22, 2013

So I assume this option is not available in the OnDemand...?

Suggest an answer