Is it possible to change the created date of a JIRA issue?

Shreena Patel March 27, 2014

Is there a way to set a JIRA task's dates to a specific date rather than always "today"? I sometimes have to create a task days after the task has been done.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2014

No, the created date is always the date you physically created the issue.

The exception is if you import issues with CSV, you can set it in that data. But you can't change it.

If you're logging issues and need to record a different date/time to when you're typing, most people use a custom field to record the actual date.

John Drotar November 26, 2018

I found that by doing a CSV upload through the settings and not from the issues page you can in fact modify the creation date as it provides more options for field mapping.

Like it.helsinki: JIRA Admin likes this
Sanjay Bhan February 7, 2019

i didnt see system generated fields in that mapping, any way to enable them ?

John Drotar February 8, 2019

You need to have Jira Admin rights to start.

Step 1 Click on the 'settings' cog on the bottom left of the screen.

Step 2 Click on System

Step 3 Click on External System Import under the "Import and Export" category

Happy importing!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Oleksii Zatulskyi May 14, 2019

@Jorge Miguel Zambada , I'm doing it by csv import. There i can define any created date same as dates for comments etc. Actually,by csv import you can do almost everything, but you have to use system import tool which are on System tab (only available for jira admin users).

0 votes
Vinod Harambe May 24, 2017

It can be done if you are using the JIRA import functionality. Map the task creation date in the CSV file to the "Created Date" feild in the JIRA import page. It will automatically choose the date from the CSV and not generate the created date as NOW by default.

Ryan Williams May 2, 2018

Created Date field is not present in the drop down list.

== Jira Fields ==
Summary
Issue Type
Component/s
Description
Fix Version/s
Priority
Labels
Environment
Affects Version/s
Assignee

Like Samir MEZIANI likes this
John Drotar October 17, 2018

I also don't see the field in the uploader.

venugoplala naidu November 24, 2018

Search for "Date Created" while mapping not created date

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2018

When this question was asked, almost 5 years ago, you could import the created date.

Now, you can not, it really does reflect the date and time you created the issue.

Like # people like this
Oleksii Zatulskyi March 5, 2019

Still working fine with Jira Admin rights

Jorge Miguel Zambada May 13, 2019

Oleksii Zatulskyi how you can see the created date field to import ?

Like Amaury_CARCENAC likes this
0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2014
I don't think you can do that other than the database.

Suggest an answer