Is it possible to change a value of a custom field by mail

Christian Herbert December 7, 2015

Hi,

is it possible to change a value of a custom field (for example an ID) by mail.

Scenario:

A ticket already exist with the ID 1. Now, the person behind ID 1 will write an email and so he can change the value to ID 2. A mailhandler is already configured.

Is it possible? How does it work?

Kind Regards,

Christian

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2015

Not off-the-shelf.

JIRA's standard mail handlers do, at best, "create or comment" - for an incoming email, they can:

• if the mail refers to an existing issue, copy the email as a comment on to that issue
  • if the mail cannot be matched to an existing issue, create a new issue in the project, taking the priority from the email header, summary from subject, description from the body, and assignee/reporter from user accounts

Setting fields, updating issues and so-on can't be done with the mail handlers as shipped.  You need to find/write an email handler if you want to do this.  Personally, I always reach for the the JEMH add-on if I'm doing anything clever with emails, but there are others in the marketplace to have a look at.

0 votes
Christian Herbert December 8, 2015

Hi Gabrielle,

thx for your answer.

Any other opinions?

Kind Regards,

Christian

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2015

This is a Security Risk and your email may not allow you to do it.

This means the email will send a POST (script/javascript/exe whatever your choice is) message to JIRA that will trigger updates and I don't know any email that supports that kind of feature because then again, it's a security issue.

Suggest an answer