Is it possible to bulk edit users?

Steven Kahrs September 17, 2015

We have created a JIRA test environment by copying / cloning our JIRA production environment.  We would like to change the email addresses for all users in the test environment to some dummy email address.  We could do this one user at a time but are wondering if it is possible to do it via some bulk user edit process?

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2015

What i did when migrating several of our AD domains into a single AD forest was to run a recursive script through the database dump before importing it. By simply doing:

cat jira-db.sql | sed 's/@yourdomain\.com/@fakedomain\.com/g' > new.jira-db.sql

Additionally, if the only goal is making sure JIRA does not spam the users from several instances there is a line in setenv.sh that does just this. Simply uncomment:

DISABLE_NOTIFICATIONS=" -Datlassian.mail.senddisabled=true -Datlassian.mail.fetchdisabled=true -Datlassian.mail.popdisabled=true"

and restart jira.

3 votes
Bryan McMillan September 17, 2015

Steven,

We had a similar issue in that we have 3 non-production environments for testing.  Dev, QA, and UAT.  Having said that our solution was to send all of the e-mail from those JIRA instances to a freeware tool called SMTP4DEV v2.0.9.  When setup correctly and JIRA pointing to it as the e-mail server you can snag all of the email JIRA generates.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

2 votes
Bryan McMillan September 17, 2015

Seven,

Almost forgot.  My answer assumes you have sys admin/root access to the server JIRA runs on.

Bryan

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2015

What's the need to update the IDs to a dummy one? To turn off notification? If so, I suggest to try the following options first:

• Remove the "Notification Scheme" of the projects so that no emails will be sent. You may just remove certain events or all of them
  • Update the JIRA Account's email address in bulk via the JIRA REST API (create a script to loop through them. You may use JIRACLI to simplify the process)
  • Update the SMTP address in the JIRA System config to an invalid one (ALL Emails will be disabled if you do this).

If not, what is the reason you want to bulk edit the email addresses?

0 votes
Mentorship4U July 11, 2020

Hi @Steven Kahrs ,

I have written a blog post on how to bulk edit Jira user e-mail accounts.
It's based on ScriptRunner and Groovy.

Cheers!

0 votes
SRIMANI February 2, 2018

hii, 

i need to change nearly 4000 employee Ids with their names  jira at one shoot , is  it possible in jira.

i need your swift help..... 

Suggest an answer