Is it possible to auto assign a team when a story is added to a Sprint for that team?

Jeff Hershberger August 25, 2015

We have multiple teams pulling from a shared backlog.

When an issue is moved out of the backlog to, say, Team A's Sprint #1, I'd like JIRA to automatically assign the issue to Team A - instead of having to manually set the Development Team field each time.

Conversely, if the issue gets moved into out of a sprint into the general backlog, I'd like JIRA to automatically set the Development Team field to (blank).

Is this a configuration that exists now?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

Nope, something like this does not exists (not out of the box). Moreover, a ticket can only be assigned to one JIRA account. Unless you have an account called "Team A" or you update a certain field in a JIRA ticket to know which team it belongs to (I'm kinda confused on your verbiage on "assign the issue to Team A and updating the "Development Team field"). So you can ignore my concern here if I misunderstood that part.

What you want here can be accomplished with scripting and some plugins. If you want to go that route, We can suggest a few things for you to try (like a simple post-function script can do some of this).

Jeff Hershberger August 25, 2015

Thanks.

I should clarify, I believe our Development Team field is a custom field, as opposed to assigning the issue to a specific account - we would like to have the Custom Field of Development Team populate with the Team associated with the Iteration (as our Iterations are divided by team - Team A - Iteration 1, Team A - Iteration 2, etc)

But I figured this would be custom, just wanted to see if there were obvious workarounds that folks knew about.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

Ah, I see. Yep, custom fields are custom made so custom stuff will be needed for such customization :)

Suggest an answer