Is it possible to attach an e-mail to an issue?

Lesley Jones August 13, 2012

Is it possible to attach an e-mail to an issue as a file, please?

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

Oh, I forgot, you should be able to drag and drop a message from Outlook to JIRA, if you have Drag and Drop plugin installed in JIRA.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/25530

Steve Syrett December 16, 2012

This would be perfect but I cannot seem to get it to work? I have the plugin installed and when I try to drag and drop an outlook email message directly from outlook (without first saving it as a *.msg file), I get a message that says "Your browser triggered a drop event without any files. If you tried to drag and drop from an application, it is not supported by your browser".

I've tried this in Firefox 16x and Chrome 23x.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2013

And quite frankly, I would do the first solution, it is pretty easy to achieve that once the mailbox is defined.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2013

Ah, no, it seems to understand the format of the file being dragged from Outlook, the receiver is supposed to implement a specific OLE interface, which I guess is not happening with our plugin. The only workaround is to drag is to a folder in Windows Explorer and drag it from there. Sorry :(

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2012

If you have a mailbox configured for your project in JIRA, then in Outlook, select more than one message, right click, Forward Items, delete the extra message(s) that u selected in the new mail that is created by outlook, send it to the project email id with the subject having the issue-key.

This looks like a long solution, but pretty easy to do it :)

1 vote

Thank you for that. I was looking for a way to cut and paste / drag and drop from Outlook rather than having to browse for the e-mail location if possible.

1 vote
Rickard Johansson [Tieto] August 13, 2012

You should be able to just attach the Email as an msg file using the Attach File option.

BR,

Rickard

Thank you for that. I was looking for a way to cut and paste / drag and drop from Outlook rather than having to browse for the e-mail location if possible.

0 votes
Esther Witteveen October 9, 2018

If I attach an .msg file to an Jira issue than in the jira customerportal it can't be opened

Example:

Knipsel.PNG

0 votes
Mark Ørnebjerg Jensen May 14, 2013

Are you considering to implement drag and drop of mails directly? We have around 200 mails every day that we manually have to drag to the desktop, and then to the attach field?

Just reading the mails directly from a mail handler isn't an option, since the mail queue contains a lot of different mails, not going to jira.

Suggest an answer