Is it possible to assign single member capacities in Portfolio?

Valentin Margreiter August 17, 2017

I am trying to get an authentic velocity calculation in Jira, which is also adaptable regarding which team members are working in the sprint and for how many days. (Taking absences into calculation)

For that I would probably need to assign (and further calculate) member specific capacities. 

Or is there any other solution that comes to mind?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2017

Hi @Valentin Margreiter,

Portfolio for JIRA does support team velocity, team members hours per day, absences and holidays.

If you are using hours, the team velocity will be based on the team members weekly hours capacity.

If you are using story points, the velocity is set at the team level and team members contribution will be based on their weekly hours capacity.

See:

Cheers,

Thomas

Valentin Margreiter August 17, 2017

Thanks Thomas,

so if I understand this right, there is no way of setting individual member capacities. (I know, this is not the right way of doing it, but absences didn't change anything on the current capacity predictions)

Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2017

You can use the weekly hours to achieve this as the individual capacity will be proportional to the hours worked.

For example:

• Team 1 (Velocity 30)
    • Member 1 (20h / Week) -> 20 Story Points Capacity
    • Member 2 (5h / Week) -> 5 Story Points Capacity
    • Member 3 (5h / Week) -> 5 Story Points Capacity
  • Team 2 (Velocity 15)
    • Member 4 (1h / Week) -> 5 Story Points Capacity
    • Member 5 (2h / Week) -> 10 Story Points Capacity
Kartik Parnami January 1, 2019

Hi Thomas,

I have a doubt here, if someone works 20h/week with the sprint duration set to 4 weeks, what is the story points capacity over the whole month. Will it still remain 20, or will it be 80?

Also, say in a project I have three developers with everyone's capacity set to say 32h/week and total velocity as 96, a single developer is able to complete 66 points worth of task in one sprint when I optimize the roadmap, can you explain how this works exactly?

Thomas
Atlassian Team
January 1, 2019

Hi @Kartik Parnami,

If someone works 20h/week, over a 4 weeks sprint the capacity will be 4 times that.

Now if you're using Story points, the capacity is set at the team level:

Let's say we give Team1 (with user1 and user2 as members) 60sp/week capacity and

- User1 works 20h/week

- User2 works 10h/week

If a sprint is 2 weeks, then you can do (60x2) => 120sp per sprint

User1 works twice as much as User2, so:

- User1 will have (120*2/3) => 80sp capacity per sprint

- User2 will have (120*1/3) => 40sp capacity per sprint

==============

In your second example:

96sp / week velocity, assuming a 4 weeks sprint this means a capacity of (96*4) => 384sp / sprint

With 3 developers working the same amount of time, it means they have an individual capacity of (384/3) => 128sp/sprint (so more than enough to cover 66sp per sprint).

Hope that helps clarify things!

Cheers,

Thomas

Kartik Parnami January 2, 2019

Hi,

- Is the velocity I enter for a team, in the "Teams" section, per week or per sprint (in my case 4 weeks)?

- Additionally, I don't see an optimal allotment of developer time, the developer has free bandwidth according to the weekly hours put in, yet no task is planned for a sprint whereas some tasks are planned for a later sprint.

- No tasks are assigned to the active sprint even when the developer has some bandwidth.

- I tried manually assigning say "Feb sprint 2019" to a user which stretched from 01/Feb/2019 to 28/Feb/2019, yet on clicking optimize it shifts it to a later target start date, target end date and sprint. How can I fix this schedule, I probably want it to flag this issue to me, but not change it.

1 vote
Addon Experts Center August 21, 2017

Hi Valntine, 

You can try using our new plugin located directly in the backlog , and enables you to configure daily capacity and absence for each team member for the sprint, and view the capacity as it fills up to its limits.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.addonexpertscenter.jira-sprint-planning-resources/server/overview

Valentin Margreiter January 15, 2018

Hi Hilli.

Sorry for the late response! Your software looks really promising, but again here you can only use available hours as opposed to calculating actual velocity.

Itamar Ben Sinai January 23, 2018

Hi,

Actual velocity is based on available hours.

Do you expect to be able to pull the actual velocity for Portfolio?

Thanks

Itamar

Suggest an answer