Is it possible to assign JI's to a group? When i'm trying to assign, getting error"user XXX can not assigned issues".

Naresh Reddy June 15, 2015

Hi Team,

While i'm trying to assign a JI to a group, i'm getting error as "user XXX(group name) can not assigned issues".

Request you to look into it. I've gone through the permission helper and getting the below messages.

Thanks for your time and help!!

image2015-6-16 14:49:26.png

Thanks,

Naresh

1 answer

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2015

No, issues can only be assigned to users. A work around is to create a email distribution list in your email system, add an ID to JIRA that can't logon and assign it that email. Then everyone in the distribution list will get an email about the issue. HOWEVER, issues that aren't assigned to a real person and thus appear in the Assigned to Me filter tend not be worked because no one sees them in their queue. One alternative is to assign them to the group lead and they can reassign as they see fit to team members. AGAIN, issues not assigned to real people are ignored.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2015

Another option is to have a group-picker or select list that says "this group is responsible". But however you cut it, "assignee" should *always* mean "the one single person currently responsible". Whenever you move away from that principle it *always* goes wrong, with group members assuming that another member of the group is responsible. It doesn't work.

Suggest an answer