Is it possible to affect a ticket to a group ?

Florent Garel May 17, 2016

Hi,

I'm on trial and i want to know what this tool can do (and can't do).

Is it possible to affect a Demand to a support group and not to a named agent ? 

If i want to have level in my support organisation:

level 1 for basic ticket with procedure

leve2  for functionnal ticket

level3 for expert 

Can i do this ? affect a tciket to a specific level 2 group, which can solve the ticket, reaffect the ticket to another L2 group or climb the ticket to the level 3 ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

F. GAREL

3 answers

2 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2016

Tickets are assigned to users. The built in Assigned to me filter shows tickets assigned to the user running it. Tickets not assigned to real users are VERY often neglected. The common work around is to create a dummy user with a email pointing to a distribution list and assign the issue to that user. then everyone in the distribution list gets notified of the creation. But in my, and many others, experience if the ticket isn't picked up by one of them right away and assigned to themselves it doesn't get worked.

You can simulate the levels in the workflow by allowing it to be resolved (closed) out of Open by tier 1 or moved to Tier 2 and then to Tier 3 if needed with the ability to close it at any tier.

again; tickets not assigned to REAL users aren't worked. They don't show up in any of the standard filters.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2016

I haven't used service desk, but I believe it follows the same rule that you need to assign to a user since it is an add-on to the basic JIRA code. The base code allows assigning it to a user (if the creator has permission) or if the be auto assign option is used it will be assigned to the project lead or component lead if that is turned on and they select a component. As I said, the only way to do a 'group' assign is to create a dummy user pointing to an email distribution list

0 votes
Florent Garel May 17, 2016

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the rapidity of your answer.

I agree with you, tickets must be assigned to  real user.

But in my experience, a ticket is first affected to a group, and then, a member of the group take it (or a supervisor affect it). and if the tickets needs more knowledge (or rights to update data for example), the tickets needs to be affected to another group (and usualy, we don't know, who from this team, will take the ticket).

So my need is to have an affected group and an affected user.

if i understand, this not possible yet with JIRA Service Desk ?

Thanks

F. GAREL

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2016

You could create a group picker or select list to indicate some form of group ownership, but, as Joe says, JIRA simply doesn't do "assign to group", because it doesn't work in real life.  You should always have one single real person directly responsible for an issue (even if that person's only responsibility is to go "not my problem" and assign it to someone else)

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2016

The advantage to Nic's suggestion is you can easily create a filter to look for issues assigned to each group and share it for everyone's use.

Florent Garel May 19, 2016

The team solution is good for me.

Can you tell me if i will be able to have, per ticket, the support time per team (with different open hours for team) ?

for example :

I have a team1  working from 8 AM to 6 PM.

The team2 work between 9 AM and 5 PM.

a ticket is opened  at '19/05/2016 01:00 PM' and assigned to Team1.

Team1 climb the ticket to Team2 at '20/05/2016 8:30 AM'

Team2 closed the ticket at '20/05/2016 11:00 AM'

==> Duration for Team1 is 5h30   (from 01:00 PM to 06:00PM (5h00) + from 8:00 to 8:30 (0h30)

==> Duration for Team2 is 2h00  ( from 9 AM (because the service is closed until 9) to 11 AM)

and of course, i will compare this duration to the OLA of each team.

Thanks for your help.

Florent 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2016

You'll need a report that can parse over the history of an issue and extract that sort of thing.  Natively, there's not a lot, but there are some reporting add-ons that could help.  I'd take a look at the timesheet add-ons first though, they have lots of time related stuff in them.

Florent Garel May 19, 2016

Ok, thanks 

Suggest an answer