Is it possible to add a watcher to an issue when permission for the user to view the issue is restricted in issue security?

S January 31, 2013

This is something which was possible in jira 3.12. Unfortunately in jira 5.x, we can't add any watcher if he does not have the permission to view the issue.

Why I require this is I want the issue to be restricted by only some users, but if they deem anyone else should also be able to view the issue, they may add the user as a watcher.

This was achieved in jira 3.12 by allowing users to add watchers and having watcher(s) as a security type in issue security.

Is there any way we can circumvent the validation which happens when a watcher is added to an issue in jira 5?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2013

I'm afraid you can't add watchers in your security levels. But you could add a multi user picker field (maintain the additional User there) and add the customfield to your security level. That schould fit your need.

S January 31, 2013

In jira 5, if we add an user who does not have permission, it throws up an error. It does not use to happen in jira 3.12.

I was curious if there is any possible way we can ask jira not to check for the permission when we add a user as a watcher.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2013

I'm not sure if there is a way but I doubt it. And if there is a way I would not recommend to circumvene jira permission.

Suggest an answer