• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • Is it possible to add a watcher to an issue when permission for the user to view the issue is restricted in issue security?

Is it possible to add a watcher to an issue when permission for the user to view the issue is restricted in issue security?

This is something which was possible in jira 3.12. Unfortunately in jira 5.x, we can't add any watcher if he does not have the permission to view the issue.

Why I require this is I want the issue to be restricted by only some users, but if they deem anyone else should also be able to view the issue, they may add the user as a watcher.

This was achieved in jira 3.12 by allowing users to add watchers and having watcher(s) as a security type in issue security.

Is there any way we can circumvent the validation which happens when a watcher is added to an issue in jira 5?

1 answer

1 accepted

I'm afraid you can't add watchers in your security levels. But you could add a multi user picker field (maintain the additional User there) and add the customfield to your security level. That schould fit your need.

In jira 5, if we add an user who does not have permission, it throws up an error. It does not use to happen in jira 3.12.

I was curious if there is any possible way we can ask jira not to check for the permission when we add a user as a watcher.

I'm not sure if there is a way but I doubt it. And if there is a way I would not recommend to circumvene jira permission.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,323 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot