Is it possible to add a comment to a jira issue without notifying the watchers?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2012

Is it possible to add a comment to a jira issue without notifying the watchers?

We have a bot that is adding some comments and we want to prevent this from notifing the watchers.

Update: If someone wonders about the real life use casef or this: you have an automation system that does update the bugs specified in commits when the build succeeds.

7 answers

2 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2012

How to limit notifications for automation actions is what we do for many automations.

2 votes
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2012

That contradicts the point of being a watcher! Watchers want to be notified when anything is happening with the issue.

You could always disable the notification for comments to watchers completely, but that wouldn't make much sense...

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2012

What Thomas says is correct, but there's a couple of extra points...

1. You could tell your bot to comment but set the group visibility to a non-public group. That would stop the emails, and hide the comments that your watchers obviously don't need, from them at least.

2. On a purely technical note (because I don't think it's of much use to you here), yes, you can comment without sending email, by using bulk-edit.

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2012

Right, I forgot about the bulk edit ;)

0 votes
Nidhi Sachin Jindal April 27, 2020

Hi,

Few of new team are not able to add assignee name in comments section. It getting very tough to send the notification too. Please suggest whats the best solution for this issue.

Regards

Nidhi

0 votes
Dane Kantner February 26, 2018

Is this still not a feature?

I've noticed many of the API inserts allow nonotify to be specified but the comment inserts do not.  At this point we're removing systemwide notifications for ALL nonwatchers because of this but that's actually a problelmatic way to address the need for a basic needed feature.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2018

No, because the main point of watching is that you get emailed on changes.

0 votes
vboerner April 22, 2016

i have a similar question warning and i am happy that it exist here. My Usecase: the issue-assignee WAS the developer, now he is watcher and I am the assignee. I have to email our costumer that (for example) the bug was removed. I want to append the email but i do not want to annoy the developer with that "informational" content. Just that one! Maybe the next comment is something of interest for the dev... so to unsubscribe is not an option. question i would be thankful for any (non-payed) ideas on that ; )

0 votes
Mike Gallamore August 16, 2013

I apoligize for jumping in here but this almost answers my question and I think others might come into this thread because they are looking for something similar: 1) What exactly is bulk edit and how do you enable it?

What I'd like to be able to do is do a bunch of commenting on a commit for a code review and then have "done" button to click that will send one notification with all the comments in it. It isn't really practical out of the box as if you have say 10 items to comment on you bury everyone in emails and they are more likely to accidentally mark something as read and miss a comment.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2013

Bulk-edit is what it sounds like - you select a set of issues, choose bulk edit and then do the same thing to all the selected issues (delete, move through a transition, update one or many fields, etc)

To "enable" it (quotes because it's always enabled, but protected), you grant a group of users the right to use it - go to Admin -> Global permissions and add in who you need (a lot of people add "jira users" so everyone can use it)

I don't think it's going to be of use to you in this case - you can do the "make exactly the same comment on 10 issues" part, but it's not a single button or click , you have to go through several steps, includeding remembering to un-checek "send email"

Suggest an answer