Is it possible that issue created date is later than updated date for same issue?!!

Amro Hassaan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2016

I have JIRA issue (and probably more) that created date for shows as 09/Jan/16 5:13 AM while first change history item is marked as happened in 09/Jul/15 8:55 PM !!!?

Is that a possible case? is it something wrong in the DB?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2016

It is wrong, but it is possible to do it accidentally.

The usual culprit is an import.  If your import data for an issue contains a created date, that can be any value - the importers are not there to judge your data, they'll simply import it.  That means you can future-date the issue creation and then have history entries that pre-date the apparent creation.

The other methods would be database hacking, scripts doing the wrong things, or bugs (although I don't know of any date bugs in JIRA or the bigger add-ons that might do this)

So, there is something wrong in your database, but generally, it won't actually cause you any problems, other than some graphs and reports looking a little bit odd (or possibly crashing if the add-on can't handle it)y

I'd fix it by running a one-off script to find and update the dates, although you'd need a way to identify them and a rule for what dates to put into "created"

Suggest an answer