Is it possibe to link Jira and AWS CodeCommit (GIT) to create workflow?

EC Jira Admin June 1, 2016

Hi, 

I've found a post regarding linking Crucible and FishEye to AWS Codecommit but is it possible to do the same between JIRA and CodeCommit(Git)? 

This is a similar question and so is this but they're both for JIRA Server and appear to be outdated (2013). 

What I'm trying to do from JIRA Cloud is ...

to allow somebody like a tester to log a bug on Jira and then a developer annotate the git commit message to automatically cue Jira to modify that issue status (called 'Smart Commits' in Jira).

e.g. My AWS CodeCommit commit message includes : "JRA-090 #close Fixed this today" ; and auto-magically the issue is closed out in jira.

How can this be achieved between the two tools?

Thanks!

AB

4 answers

6 votes
Justin Stander November 15, 2017

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.xiplink.jira.git.jira_git_plugin/cloud/overview?_ga=2.264998671.1042208001.1510782104-1641989940.1508185244

The fact that its a paid app is upsetting to me. I understand GitHub is probably the #1 Cloud Git Repo, which is why its integration is possible out-of-the-box with JIRA cloud, but this "add-on" is based on the same underpinnings: GIT.

Why I can't point a GIT connector to a GIT repo brand of my choice seems to me to be a a huge misalignment here.

IT feels like discrimination because I am using AWS CodeCommit. GIT is GIT is GIT, no? What about Bitbucket and GitHub score them a free connector for JIRA users?

If AWS is doing something that's preventing a nice clean generic integration like all the other GIT repo's you support, I'll bring it up with them.

Let me know why this is. Thanks.

1 vote
Justin Stander April 26, 2018

Hi Adam,

Please just tell us the general time frame on your product road map when we are not forced to pay up because of where our GIT repository is hosted. Thanks!!

1 vote
Garey Taylor October 4, 2016

We're expanding our AWS presence and would like to integrate our JIRA Cloud instance with our AWS CodeCommit instance but there doesn't seem to be a connector like they have with GitHub. 

Atlassian, could you add a connector to AWS similar to what you have with GitHub?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/connect-jira-cloud-to-github-814188429.html

Any help on this would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

0 votes
Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2017

Hi Alec - I know we've chatted before - but I wanted to put this answer out there for others. Our add-on the Git Integration for JIRA Cloud support AWS CodeCommit (once connected new repos will be automatically added): https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.xiplink.jira.git.jira_git_plugin/cloud/overview

Cheers,

Adam

Filip Heitbrink June 1, 2017

Hi Adam,

The page at the URL you provide doesn't mention anything about AWS CodeCommit. Does it still need updating?

We currently use Jira + Bitbucket. We do smartcommits in order to log work, and especially time spent, to Jira tasks.

We would like to switch from Bitbucket to CodeCommit, because we are planning on using CodePipeline in AWS.

Will the smartcommits and time logging functionality still work if we use your plugin together with CodeCommit?

Best regards,
Filip

Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2018

@Filip Heitbrink - 

Sorry - just seeing this - I missed the notification of your comment.

Answers to your questions:

Does it still need updating?

It probably wasn't updated when you looked - but we now advertise support for AWS CodeCommit.

Will the smartcommits and time logging functionality still work if we use your plugin together with CodeCommit?

Yes - Smart Commits and the time logging functionality will just work (Smart Commits will work for any git repository - including AWS CodeCommit).

Again sorry for the delay - but wanted to get you a response.

Cheers,

Adam

Eric Wittle December 27, 2019

More than a year later, and the list of supported git platforms on the page linked above still does not mention AWS CodeCommit.

Like Mica Cooper likes this
Eric Wittle December 27, 2019

Which is a shame, because the integration is very simple, just finished setting it up. Odd that this was the first topic I found via google search.

Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2020

@Eric Wittle - I'm with BigBrassBand - the vendor supporting the Git Integration app - I *believe* you were referring to our Marketplace page that was missing a note about supporting AWS CodeCommit. Indeed we do support AWS CodeCommit and I have updated our listing page.

Eric Wittle January 1, 2020

That's exactly what I was referring to, thanks for following up. I've installed it to use with CodeCommit, and so far so good...

Like Adam Wride likes this
Chandrakant Gaidhane June 2, 2021

Can we connect JIRA server with Code commit with this plugin?

OR is there any other way to connect JIRA server to code commit

Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2021

@Chandrakant Gaidhane - yes - you can use the Jira Server version of Git Integration for Jira Server to connect your AWS CodeCommit repos to Jira.

If you have any questions, email us at support@bigbrassband.com

Cheers,

Adam

Chandrakant Gaidhane June 2, 2021

Thank you Adam for your reply.

Can we connect codecommit to JIRA server via DVCS accounts (where we can connect github and JIRA, but there is no option for codecommit in DVCS accounts).

Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2021

@Chandrakant Gaidhane - no - DVCS does not support AWS CodeCommit.

Suggest an answer