Is it ok to remove atlassian-addons-project-access from Assignable User role?

Paul Miller January 19, 2018

Recently a bunch of atlassian addon projects showed up in our Issue Assignee list - unfortunately at the top of the list.

I found the atlassian-addons-project-access role in the permissions for Assignable User. Can I just remove it, or will that (potentially) break something?

2 answers

0 votes
Jose Toscano
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 26, 2023

Hi.

When we enable "atlassian-addons-project-access" are we giving the role the permission to install addons?

Thank you

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2018

Hi Paul,

Take a look at Add-on permissions update:

When you install or update an add-on, JIRA will automatically grant the add-on the correct permissions for its scope through the atlassian-addons-project-access role. It will also check the permissions of existing add-ons across all JIRA and JIRA Service Desk projects, and grant them the correct permissions as well.

How does the atlassian-addons-project-access role use project permissions?

When you install an add-on, JIRA creates a corresponding ‘user’ who is assigned to the atlassian-addons-project-access role in each project. If you don’t want the add-on to have access to a project, you can remove it from the role. Additionally, JIRA always respects add-on scopes over permissions. This means that add-ons only have access to the APIs defined by their scopes, and only have permission to perform the actions defined by their scopes.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

Cheers,

Branden

Paul Miller January 20, 2018

Thanks Branden.

I understand why it's doing that, I'm just wondering what the repurcussions are if I undo a bit of it. Unless Jira App for Chat can fix bugs for me, I don't see why we would ever assign any issues to it, but maybe that's needed behind the scenes for some other reason. Is it going to break anything if I remove that one permission?

Like # people like this
Roopa Raghavan May 10, 2019

I'd like to know the answer to that too

mustafa korkmaz February 23, 2020

Hallo all,

atlassian-addons-project-access role is created for only add-ons. It could be not any person. 

But it behaves actually like a people. For this reason. it is created under project role.

Lets say, you installed JSU Automation Workflow for Jira. This plug-in need from a to z almost all right, in order to modify your workflow. But for another add-on such as project configurator you dont need to grant all.

Thats why, dont clean this granting from your scheme, to have features of plugIns zou installed more profitable.

Sincerely

Mustafa

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer