Is it mandatory to re-index after custom field addition

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2013

Hi All

I have added a new custom field, added it to a screen and ultimately to a project.

The custom field that I have added is showing up perfectly on create issue screen without a re-indexing.

My question is - is it mandatory to re-index after custom field addition? What are the drawbacks of not re-indexing after custom field addition.

Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2013

Not really. You need it only if the searcher to a custom field changes.

I am still confused about that message after a customfield is added.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2013

When you Edit a custom field, you can change the searcher associated with it.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field#ConfiguringaCustomField-SearchTemplate

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2013

Hi Jobin

Thanks for the response. I am not clear what you meant by searcher to a custom field. Can you please explain.

The custom field I have added is a cascading select custom field (two select drop downs).

Rahul

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2013

Thanks Jobin.... As I am creating a new one so I guess I am fine without a re-index.

Rahul

Suggest an answer