Is it correct that I can link a JIRA Service Desk ticket to more than one JIRA Software ticket and have each ticket update?

KC Burney January 27, 2017

Looking at using the feature here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/blog/2016/02/create-linked-issue#

I want to confirm that if I have a Service Desk ticket that I will be able to link it to more than one JIRA Software ticket. In this use case, JIRA Software tickets will come from more than one JIRA project when more than one team of developers has a story related to the service desk ticket.

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2017

You have it backwards. JIRA Service Desk automation rules only affect Requests within the Service Desk. When each Software Issue is resolved, you can have them update the linked Service Desk Requests.

Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2017

Thanks, @Steven Behnke. So in your experience, issues from multiple JIRA Software projects can be linked to a single JIRA Service Desk issue, and also control that Service Desk issue via the automation rules?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2017

This can be a Many-To-Many relationship. The trigger is the Transitioning of Issues outside of JIRA Service Desk, affecting the Requests by Commenting, Updating, or Transitioning the Requests.

Let me phrase this with the use-case – 

1. Customers report Bug Requests
  2. Agents use Create and Link to open Bug Issues in the Software Projects, linked to the aforementioned Requests
  3. When the Software Team closes their Bug, the original Bug Requests in JIRA Service Desk can be automatically commented on and transitioned, informing the Customer and Agents that the bug is closed
Vadim Katsman October 7, 2017

I can see how that works for software tickets created by the agent (Create and Link feature).  But how that works in the following several scenarios:

- agent selects the existing software ticket as related (either connected by another support ticket or created through the software requests in-take outside of support) 

- development manager recognizes the software issue (defect or improvement) addresses one or many support tickets - in which case the linking occurs from software ticket direction to the service desk direction

In essence, and I probably know the answer, how to implement (procedurally) a link to a support ticket initiated from the development team?  

Fundamentally, regardless where the link has originated - by agent who created a software ticket or by dev manager who linked the service ticket - if development is concluded, the service ticket's owner has to be notified.

0 votes
Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2017

Would also be curious to know the impact on automation rules within the JSD project.

Suggest an answer