Is it completely safe to roll back Scriptrunner plugin from version 3.0.16 to 2.1.17

Madhura N Kulkarni March 22, 2016

Since version 3.0.16 is breaking our scripts, I would like to roll back the plugin by uninstalling and reinstalling from UPM.

Will this cause any unwanted changes to the JIRA database? Any thing I need to watch for?

1 answer

0 votes
Mark McCormack _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

Hi Madhura,

Both SR 3.0.16 and 2.1.17 are really quite old so you would likely be better off working out what is wrong.

Rolling back from 3.x to 2.x means you should check to see if there were any significant changes between the two versions especially changes that might affect the Active Objects DB schema.

Please note though the compatibility of the different versions:

If you're using JIRA 6.2 or older you need to use SR 2.1.17.

If you're using JIRA 6.3/6.4 you can use either the FREE SR 3.1.4 or go for a paid SR 4.1.3.10

If you're using JIRA 7.x you need to use version SR 4.2.x.

M

Madhura N Kulkarni March 23, 2016

Thanks Mark,

Here is the issue we are having with the 3.0.16 version- https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/38049252

Appreciate if you have any thoughts on how we can resolve it.

Thanks again.

We are using JIRA 6.2

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

Hi Madhura,

Since you are using JIRA 6.2 you will definitely need to downgrade back to SR version 2.1.17. I'm not sure if that will work so I'd recommend trying it on a staging server first.

The alternative would be to upgrade your JIRA to 6.3.

Thanks Mark.

But then how did the UPM allow me to upgrade to this version of SC?

Also on vendor website it says 3.0.16JIRA Server 6.2 - 6.4.132015-05-13

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2016

Hi Madhura,

The Atlassian Marketplace shows the correct compatibility:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner/versions

I'm not sure how the UPM allowed you to upgrade.

What link are you referring to that shows the incorrect compatibility please so I can find it and correct it?

Thanks,

M

image2016-3-23 14:52:43.png

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner/versions

So what do you think is my best option to resolve this? We cannot upgrade JIRA for until next few months.

Thanks Mark.

Even now, when I tried to update on a staging instance (JIRA 6.2.3) through UPM, it upgraded to 3.0.16

Hi Mark,

I rolled back the plugin to 2.1.17 in the staging instance and the broken functionality is fixed now.

My question-

Can you please let me know what validations should be done to ensure nothing else is broken?

How can I make sure there are no problems in other parts of JIRA?

Thanks a lot for your help.

-Madhura

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2016

Madhura,

Sorry I must have missed the compatibility for 3.0.16 with JIRA 6.2 when I looked the first time! Can you tell me if you ONLY upgraded the version of ScriptRunner or did you upgrade JIRA too (say from 6.1 to 6.2?

Also, can you tell me what scripts are now broken, and include a code block of the broken scripts and also any relevant atlassian-jira.log error messages you can find?

In more recent versions of ScriptRunner you can use the Script Registry to look at all of your scripts in one place (found under built-in scripts) but I can't be sure if it was working back in version 3.0.16.

M

Hi Mark,

Yes I only upgraded the ScriptRunner plugin to 3.0.16 and not JIRA. 

Is there an email address that i can send you the logs and other sensitive information?

Thanks.

Madhura

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2016

Madhura,

For sensitive issues, please raise an issue on our Product Support Portal. That will raise an issue that is only visible to you and the ScriptRunner team smile. You can add the relevant scripts and attach the log file in the issue on the portal.

Here is the support issue i created in your system-

SRJSUP-291

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2016

Thanks Madhura,

We'll take a look at this tomorrow (it's late here in the UK).

Ok, thanks a lot Mark. Really really appreciate your customer service!!

Madhura N Kulkarni March 24, 2016

Hi Mark,

Please confirm that version 3.0.16 is compatible with JIRA 6.2.3.
Thanks.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2016

Hi Madhura,

I believe this was answered in your same question on our Customer Support Portal (SRJSUP-291) but here's how to help yourself in the future.

The Versions tab in the Atlassian Marketplace offers compatibility information.

Suggest an answer