Is it better to have JIRA and mysql on the same server, or to have the database on a separate server?

Rich Quillen September 18, 2014

3 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2014

Depends on your needs.  Using the same box reduces network traffic and dependencies and keeps things very simple - "that box runs all of Jira".  But a separate server means you know that the database server processes won't consume resources that JIRA could be using and vice-versa.  So there's no simple answer to this one really!

Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2014

As Nic said, it depends. We have jira with 2000+ user and we have both database, jira and confluence on same server.

Rich Quillen September 18, 2014

That also raises the question: What amount of resources does the database consume?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2014

Not a lot, unless you start trying to do "clever" things like ignore the API and talk directly to it, or run reports of it etc. Jira databases tend to be small - most users will find the database chews up a few Gb at most. On a well-tuned/monitored Jira, you'll mostly find the CPU ticks over at a couple of % usage most of the time. However, that said, it's really not easy to just say "well you can just use a small weak machine". It depends on your usage. Whatever you do, monitor the database service.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2014

Hi Rich, if your enviroment is big enough I would recommend you to have in different servers. Plus, if your JIRA server goes down you can have a second enviroment and point it to the database. Remember is not recommended to have two working enviroments pointing to the same database.

tousifs
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2014

Different server for good performance is suggested.

0 votes
Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2014

rule of thumb its to always have them separate but, they are small environments were they keep it together. I have a small environment with 20 users and i keep both of them together because i dont want to manage another server.

A September 18, 2014

what is a threshold for switching to multiple servers? 200 users? 500? with proper backups having a simpler setup and reduced chance of a network botlleneck outweighs a generic rule of thumb for me

Suggest an answer