Is indexing required after deleting 50000 issues from JIRA?

Srinivas Patruni February 16, 2014

Yesterday we have deleted some projects and issues from JIRA server. We see some error messages in the log file that indexes corrupt. Is indexing required after deleting issues? Is integrity check also required?

2014-02-17 00:57:44,917 http-80-43 ERROR XXXXX 57x3017x65 1233pcw 00.000.00.00 /rest/gadget/1.0/issueTable/filter [jira.issue.statistics.ComponentStatisticsMapper] Indexes may be corrupt - unable to retrieve component with id '13246'.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2014

No. You should not need to re-index after delete. Or bulk-edit. Or anything else you do in the UI.

However... there is a bugette in Jira somewhere that causes this error - I've never got to the bottom of it, but neither have I ever been able to tie any problem to it. So, I think it's (mostly) harmless in that it won't really break anything other than growing your log a bit and being vaguely annoying when you're looking for real errors.

Reindexing will fix it, but I wouldn't really panic about it as long as your issue searches (based on component) work ok.

Srinivas Patruni February 17, 2014

Thank you Nic. Is it required to remove the caches folder from the jira-home directory before Reindexing?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2014

No. I'd leave them alone.

However, I would, if possible, remove the "issues" directory underneath it - a couple of times, I've seen "full re-index" not quite clear it out. (If in doubt, move it, rather than delete it)

Srinivas Patruni February 18, 2014

Thanks for your comments, Nic !!

I had indexed without removing the cache folder.. Now there are no more errors...

When the indexes are currupted we found the Full GC was too high and many users complained about the performance but after the recent reindex, the full GC is reduced and so we are expecting little inprovement in performance for users. Hopefully we dont get any more complaints from users till next week as we are going to upgrade jira and confluence very soon.

0 votes
Zoltan Kiss December 9, 2020

And what if I'm doing it with scriptrunner?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2020

Depends on how your scripts do it.  If they simply make calls to the Java api that is there for deleting issues, then you do not need to worry about re-indexing, the delete function updates the index.

Zoltan Kiss December 17, 2020

You were right. Thanks :)

0 votes
Srinivas Patruni February 16, 2014

Yes.. From GUI using bulk edit and project delete option.

0 votes
Graeme Mitchell February 16, 2014

How did you delete them? Bulk edit in the GUI?

Suggest an answer