Is atlassian able to restore my JIRA instance(hosted by my organization) to default factory settings?

Manavendra Solanki December 16, 2012

Hi,

our JIRA license was exipred on sep 2012, but we were using the JIRA instance.

Till 13 Dec everything was fine but on 17 Dec after weekend when we checked our JIRA DB all our users,group, workflows,permission schemes and issues were deleted from DB, only one user (admin) was in DB.

Is this possible for ATLASSIAN to restore the JIRA instance not hosted by them?

Can anyone tell me what will be the probable cause for this?

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2012

No. Your installation is your own, it can only be accessed by the people you've given accounts to (There's three there - Jira user accounts, some of which will have admin rights, server accounts and database accounts). If you've given Atlassian one of those, then that's fine, but they wouldn't do this to any client.

It's very difficult to say what the cause is, but it sounds like your database has been deleted completely, then Jira has reconnected to it, spotted an empty database and created everything from scratch because it thinks it's a new installation.

I would have a quick look at the Atlassian-jira log to confirm that, and then move on to your database logs to find out what went wrong. If you're stuck on understanding what you're seeing in the logs, post here for more help (but we'll need to see them)

I'd also ask your system admins (the ones who look after the database) to find you a backup.

One important question if you do get back to us here - what database are you using? (Also, version of Jira, Java and the operating system on the application server would be handy to know)

Manavendra Solanki December 17, 2012

Actually what we are doubting that may be there some listeners in JIRA, which will invoked and compare current system date and expiry date(Expiry date may be stored in any file) and it is well known that during set up we provide IP and credentials for our DB server to JIRA (They will write this details in any file of JIRA) and when this listener get invoked and after date comparison found license is expired then read DB server details from that file and update our database.

I just wanna ask you guys is this possible?

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

additional to what andy and nic already said...

let's hope you have some files from scheduled backup by jira inside your $Jira_Home/export DIR

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2012

Or a database backup - those are better for medium to large installations...

Actually what we are doubting that may be there some listeners in JIRA, which will invoked and compare current system date and expiry date(Expiry date may be stored in any file) and it is well known that during set up we provide IP and credentials for our DB server to JIRA (They will write this details in any file of JIRA) and when this listener get invoked and after date comparison found license is expired then read DB server details from that file and update our database.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

I doubt it. My suggestion, renew your support with Atlassian, raise a support call.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

(a) No, Atlassian aren't responsible for your hosted instance, at all, its entirely your responsibility to manage, its unlikley Atlassian would pay an engineer to come and fix your instance. Worst case, you will need to use your backups (I hope). If you need help to restore your data from a backup there are plenty of people/experts around that could provide that service, myself included. more @ http://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts

(b) re: how this can happen? Hard to say, what did you do recently? how many admins have you got? did you recently go through an upgrade? who manages/controls the database? Without much more information its hard to suggest a specific cause.

Some possibilities:

a) Somebody blew the database away

b) Somebody blew away / repointed your JIRA home folder to a new 'standalone' instance.

Suggest an answer