Is all of Jira cloud documentation broken?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2022

It seems like every time I want to find the cloud equivalent of a server/DC page I am redirected to the documentation home page for cloud - and more often than not the content I am looking for simply doesn't exist, or has considerably less detail.

For example, clicking on the cloud button for any of the pages below redirects to https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/resources/

I can tell you with pretty much 100% certainty that no documentation page exists for the Jira Roadmap dashboard gadget in the cloud.

1 answer

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2022

Hi @Rob Horan

Most of the times the feature may not exist in both environments so that's why you are redirected to a generic site.  I agree with you, if the feature is not available they should not even bother having the option to select the other environment.

Regards

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2022

Hi Fabian,

The feature definitely exists in the cloud, and that's pretty much the case whenever I go looking.  Most of the time I am looking to see how to use a particular feature or to see if there are configuration options I may be overlooking.

Greenshot 2022-06-21 16.04.23.png

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2022

@Fabian Lim if you look at the links I provided for Server they are for common, and dare I say, critical functionality, such as how to manage versions, defining components, etc.

It would be pretty bad if this documentation didn't exist for Cloud.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2022

Part of the problem is not that a feature "doesn't exist", it's a feature that "has been done so differently, the docs for one really don't apply well enough, and we've restructured it all".

It happens a lot for the older docs for versions that are no longer supported, they're always refactoring later documentation.

Like Fabian Lim likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  I get it, but the problem with this approach is that sometimes cloud and on prem are very similar, and sometimes they're wildly different.  I can get by with figuring it out and filling in the blanks, but in many cases I'm trying to find links for others who may not be so comfortable with the subject matter.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2022

The problem is that there is no equivalence.  Basically, if you're looking for Cloud docs, stop searching the server/DC docs, and vice-versa.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I'm not - the problem is Google gives what it gives :)  I search, I get hits on server/DC pages.  I get to the page, hit the Cloud button, and boom, dead.

So I search inside the tool and limit my search to Jira Cloud.  No results.

Suggest an answer