Is a user assigned to the Developer Role also included as a User Role?

Peder March 23, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Managing Project Role Membership

If I add a user as a Developer role, will all permissions granted to the User role also apply to this user? I would assume so but I wan't able to find this in the documentation.

Similarly, does someone assigned to Administrator role also have Developer and User role permissions? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

The permission of a JIRA Role will entirely depends on whatever is configured in the projects JIRA Permission Scheme. In conclusion, a Developer role and User role may both "browse project" permission but the Developer may have an additional role of "Assignable Issues". The same goes for Administrator role. Your reference here is the permission scheme

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2016

No.  The roles are totally independent of each other.  Membership of one role does not give you any other memberships.

Suggest an answer