Is JIRA used in any other industry, just for workflows

Thomas Varghese October 17, 2012

Would like to know whether JIRA is used in any other industry other than software development, for just managing the internal processes using workflows? If Yes, can I get some examples of that.

-Thomas

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

Hi, we've seen JIRA used for project management in lots of industries. It's used for task tracking, issue management and a lot of other ways.

The software industry does use it for bug tracker etc and maybe it did start off this way, but currently it has wide uses. It's now a generic tool suited for lots of purposes.

It's been used to track different types of lifecyles, e.g. we've seen it for HR starters and termination processes too.

What specific examples are you looking for?

Would like to know whether anyone is using this for textile industry for managing the garment manufacturing processes.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2012

Yes, and we've had questions in the past that are about setting it up to handle garment size requirements.

I've seen it used in several places for the generalised "issue tracking" and "task management" purposes. Specifically, an oil refinery site used it for tracking maintenance tasks, a publisher for the process of getting a book from author to printer (proof reading, legal checks, etc), and a charity for the process around chasing up legacy donations.

Like neenu likes this
1 vote
Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

I have customized jira for manfacturing companies and also for different functions in the organization like Legal team, Business response teams, resource management and other business functions as well.

Jira workflow is pretty powerfull and is used in many industries other than software companies.

Thanks Viswajeet.

When you customized for manufacutring companies, was it the workflow you have customized or any other customization? Also can we do this customization with JiraOnDemand ?

Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Majority of customization was done in the workflows and fields, there were some reports which they want which is not possible in out of the box in jira so it was done using groovy scripts.

Ondemand restrict level of customizations you can do but in my experience major requirment was the custom workflows and screens which you can do on ondemand as well if I am not wrong, haven't looked at ondemand in a while.

For reports and all you might have to resort to excel or may rest apis.

Hope this help, let me know if you have any further questions.

Suggest an answer